Underground Residential Electric Service Requirements
Call Blue Stakes before digging. It’s the law.
811 or 1-800-662-4111
- Installation is to be in accordance with the latest edition of the NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE.
- The meter base is to be located within 10 feet of the front (street side) of the structure.
- Locate the meter base a minimum of 3 feet horizontally from the gas meter.
- Never install meter base over window wells, steps, or other unsafe or inconvenient locations.
- Center of meter socket is to be a minimum of 4 feet, and a maximum of 6 feet from finished grade immediately in front of meter base.
- Avoid meter base installations near bedroom or bathroom windows.
- There must be a minimum free working space of 12 inches to the sides and 36 inches in front of meter base.
- Riser conduit is to be 2-inch GRC or IMC for services up to 200 amps. For larger services, contact the Power Department.
- No bends are allowed in the conduit riser between the meter base and the underground elbow.
- A sleeve is required where riser conduit passes thru pavement.
- The riser conduit is to be firmly attached to the foundation above finished grade with two separate unistruts and 1/2 inch diameter concrete wedge anchors.
- Elbows are to be regular-sweep GRC.
- No more than 180 degrees of total bends are allowed.
- Buried conduit is to be 2-inch schedule 40 PVC for services up to 200 amps. For larger services, contact the Power Department.
- A pull line or poly rope capable of withstanding 400 pounds tensile strength is to be installed in the conduit after glue has dried.
- The trench is to be a minimum of 30-inches from finished grade. Do not radius trench.
- Dig trench to the edge of utility equipment where service will feed from and run conduit to this point. Leave trench open for 6 feet from utility equipment. Nephi City will install an elbow at this point. Contact the Power Department for point of entry into utility equipment.
- Backfill material is to be free of rocks, stones, or objects larger than 2 inches in diameter.
- Trench must be backfilled before service is connected.
- Nephi City will provide and install cable and connect the service.
- The temporary service will be disconnected when the permanent service is installed.
If you have questions about any of these requirements, contact the Nephi City Power Department @ 623-0276.