The Nephi City Police Department is a Proud Sponsor of the VIPS (Volunteers in Police Service), a nationally recognized program which is committed to developing a spirit of cooperation and partnership with the community.
The Nephi City Police VIPS members, are all volunteers and are sworn to uphold the law and help law enforcement personnel with non-hazard police services in any way they can or are asked, through the Police Department, Patrol Division. Members must submit a detailed application, pass a criminal background check, and pass an interview process. A minimum of 8 hours of volunteer service time is required each month as is a minimum of training hours. Attendance at regular monthly meetings is mandatory in order to help keep the group organized, trained, and focused on their roles.
Duties to Include:
- Assist Patrol Division as needed
- Directing traffic at accident scenes
- Removal of debris in the roadway
- Waiting for wrecker on impounds and accidents
- Shuttling paperwork, keys, equipment, etc...
- Assisting with missing children and the elderly
- Recovery of found property, (bikes or other types on request)
- Vacation checks and extra patrol of designated areas
- Field Emergency Triage and Food Preparation
- Fundraising for program
- Taking of minor calls for service with citizens
- Motorist assist calls
- Stalled vehicles
- Shuttles of stranded motorists
- Welfare checks on elderly citizens
- Assist with Code Enforcement
- Other Duties as assigned by the Police Department